This is usually the first soup I gravitate to making in the fall. I've made many different versions. Its sweet and spicy, and the color reminds me of warmth. I'm like " I get to buy fall veggies now, Hooray !" But its still hot out. This is a good one to file for the next few weeks as we ease in to cooler weather.
My cardiologist suggested in an attempt to keep me off blood pressure meds that I remove salt from my diet. ( I am also on a walking routine now), but back to the soup. YIKES,Salt is what gives food flavor, so does spice.
The natural sweetness of butternut squash and fuji apple soup paired with a good quality curry and cinnamon more than make up for the reduced salt broth. I love salt, don"t get it twisted, especially the Himalayan sea salt.
But this vegetable speaks for itself. He said ( paraphrasing here ) " We are so used to adding salt that we forgot what food tastes like." And while we are at it Butternut squash is high in minerals and Potassium . Good for lowering blood pressure.
I'm inclined to agree. There are some really perfect veggies out there, we gotta let them sing their song.
By the way, the bowl is from a collection of plates and bowls made by my daughter Tracy. Everything tastes better on her creations.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place parchment paper in a roasting pan.
1 medium sized butternut squash peeled and chopped into 2 inch cubes. Seeds removed.
1 large onion diced
1 or 2 Fuji apples rinsed, skin on cur in to chunks. ( no seeds) )
4 cups of low sodium veggie broth OR you can use Frontiers vegan no chicken broth powder which is my absolute favorite . But by all means use your regular broth if you are not restricted.
1 Tablespoon good quality curry powder plus 1 teaspoon .
1 teaspoon cinnamon
you could add a little heat, a little crushed red pepper if you like, a little sprinkle.
1 cup almond or coconut milk
drizzle olive oil
chopped cilantro .
- Place the cut squash and apples in a pan. drizzle with olive oil,
- Add 1 teaspoon at a time of the curry powder, up to a Tablespoon to the cubed squash and massage in well. ..Save some for the onions you will saute later.
- Add the cinnamon and massage into the squash. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until soft. The color should be slightly browned. Remove and wait for the onions to be done.
- While the squash is roasting, In a soup pot and saute the onions in a little olive oil, add some curry as it cooks down. At this point you could add the extra pepper,
- Add the squash to the onions along with the broth. Cook down for about 15 minutes or until soft. . Remove from the stove. Add in the milk . Blend with a hand blender. If you don't have a hand blender allow to cool before blending in a blender. Never blend hot foods in a blender.
Garnish with cilantro .
Learning to adjust to a new paradigm is never easy. Our palates are just as conditioned as we are. I have been blessed with the knowledge of food and its intrinsic spirit. Join me as we taste food as it was meant to be. That is good medicine. Until next time, oxoxox.